[j-nsp] EX4200 24 SFP ports not showing

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon May 31 21:57:46 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:52:53AM +1000, Olof Kasselstrand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a EX4200 24 SFPs switch. When I try show interface terse only
> the port with SFP is shown. If I do a show inter ge-0/0/7 I get device
> not found if there is no SFP plugged in. Is it possible to change
> this?
>
> This is causing me trouble when I want to setup graphs for this
> switch. The interfaces don't show up in SNMP either. It would be nice
> to add all ports and as soon as I start using one port I'll get the
> graphs.

On the EX-series the ports don't actually show up until you insert an
optic (this is true for GE and 10GE on all EX's AFAIK). As soon as you
do insert the SFP, the port will show up, and you'll start graphing it.

This is really only a problem if you use some horrible SNMP poller with
static ifindex mappings (like MRTG), in which case the answer should be
to upgrade your SNMP poller as fast as is humanly possible.