[j-nsp] Good practice for EX-series interface config management

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 17:31:27 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm curious about what people have found is the best way to manage
interface configurations on EX-series devices. There are a number of
ways to apply configuration to interfaces -- direct to each interface,
using interface-ranges etc.

We've been burnt a couple of times with people making adjustments to
interface-ranges and not paying close enough attention to the net
effect of their change (e.g. leaving out all interfaces on a switch).
Direct application of config to interfaces, while precise, kind of
feels 'wrong' as JUNOS provides more elegant ways to achieve the same
end result. Maybe in carefully planned, static environments where
access port VLAN assignments and other port specific configs rarely
change, interface-ranges are more workable. Or maybe we're just doing
it wrong.

I'm hoping that this sparks some discussion. What works best for you?

Cheers,
Dale