[j-nsp] EX4200 Air Flow

Bjørn Skovlund skovlund at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 05:36:03 EDT 2010

Hi Bill,

We have around 80 EX-3200 (24 port RJ-45, with SFP module) and 30
EX-4200 (24 port SFP, with XFP module) in production. They're all
located at telco pops, an environment with cooling, but not from the
floor and also quite densely populated locations. Not ideal
environment, so to say.

I've run some quick stats and on the CPU, the temperature is of the
same average. On the PFEs, the 4200s are in avarage 5 degrees celcius
warmer than the 3200s.

If it's possible to make any conclussions about airflow from this, I'm
not so sure. As you can guess with the uplink modules, our 4200s are
running a much higher packet-load than our 3200s.

We've not found any problems with heating so far - and most of our EXs
have been running for around 10 months now.

Cheers, Bjørn