[j-nsp] 1000BASE-T SFP sets interface status "up" once inserted into EX4200-24F

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Nov 5 10:42:02 EDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 10:10:51AM +0200, Martin T wrote:
> Thanks for information! Hopefully this isn't some sort of "Juniper branded
> SFP's only" policy..
>
> Richard, how do you get into this "chassism<0>#" environment? If I do "lcdd
> 0 chassism" in UNIX shell, I get this:
>
> root@:RE:4% lcdd 0 chassism
> Telnet escape character is '^D'.
> Trying 128.0.0.16...
> telnet: connect to address 128.0.0.16: No route to host
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
> root@:RE:4%

Are you using a stack or something? On EX lcdd lets you connect to the
line card daemons (I'm guessing thats what it stands for :P), the "0" is
for fpc0, which is normally the only thing that exists on the small
EX's. I've never touched an EX stack, but based on your prompt above I'm
guessing you may need to call it slot 4?

> lcdd
Invalid input, expected command is
Lcdd <slot-id> <daemon-name> [-cmd commands-arguments (for lcdd_cmd)]
For sfid:     Lcdd <slot-id> sfid [-cmd ...]
For chassism: Lcdd <slot-id> chassism [-cmd ...]
For vccpd:    Lcdd <slot-id> vccpd [-cmd ...]
number of args passed are 0

There are 3 things you can connect to, sfid is the software forwarding
infrastructure, chassism is the chassis manager, and vccp is the virtual
chassis system. The other control daemon is pfem, which you can get to
with the usual vty fpc0 (even though it's blocked from start shell pfe
network fpc0 for some reason).

Oh and you also don't actually need to be root to get into lcdd, which
is probably a bad thing, since you can easily crash the box from there.
:)