[j-nsp] can not install from boot media

Erol KAHRAMAN erol.kahraman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 13:42:10 EDT 2010

  Hello all,

I am trying to install Junos from install media (compact flash), but in
boot sequence i get the following error.

=================== Bootstrap installer starting ===================
Initialized the environment
Routing engine model is RE-5.0
Discovered that flash disk = ad0 , hard disk = ad1
WARNING: Compact-flash missing, installing only on hard disk
Disk to install is ad1
mfs: available=928976
Using 928976 for /tmp
WARNING: The installation will erase the contents of your disks.
Do you wish to continue (y/n)?
Setting ospackage=jboot-10.2R1.8.tgz, configpackage=
Setting packlist=jbundle-10.2R1.8-domestic.tgz
Packages mounted from the install media
Partitioning ad1 ...
bsdlabel: /dev/ad1s1: No such file or directory
Could not read old disklabel for ad1s1, creating new label.
fdisk: cannot open disk /dev/ad1: No such file or directory
ERROR: partdrive: could not write a clean slice table on ad1
You are now in a debugging subshell (you may not see a prompt)...

I have a M7i box and i don't have the flash disk.

Any suggestion?