[j-nsp] MX80 vs MX240

Tim Donahue tdonahue at vonsystems.com
Tue Oct 19 13:50:59 EDT 2010

Hi all,

We are working on a new colo deployment and we are trying to choose
between the MX80 and the MX240.  With our current budget the MX240 is
definitely a stretch over the MX80.  On paper, the MX80 has more than
enough horsepower to meet our needs for the foreseeable future, however
I was wondering if anyone has any comments on their experience with it
in production.  We are looking at the MX80-AC chassis with the 20x1Gb
SFP MIC card with a mixture of SX and copper SFPs.

Our immediate needs:

- IPv4 and IPv6
- BGP (3-4 full tables, 1-2 partial tables)
- OSPF
- Sampled netflow
- SNMP monitoring

Has anyone had problems running the MX80 in their network, with the
features above or with other commonly used features?  Other than access
to the MS-DPC blade and the expandability for the larger MX systems, are
there any significant benefits to using a MX240 over the MX80?

Please feel free to send offlist responses if you feel they are more
appropriate.

Thank you,

Tim