[j-nsp] MX80 vs MX240

Giuliano Cardozo Medalha giulianocm at uol.com.br
Tue Oct 19 21:16:30 EDT 2010

  Tim,

We have 4 x MX80-48 (48 x 10/100/1000 + 4 XFP) - routing license and 2
GB DRAM - running in or production network.

It is a big strength box. However, JUNIPER looks like to be in a
development phase for JUNOS running with TRIO 3D asics.

We got some problems with BGP and MPLS configurations. Some software
instabilities. We are now running 10.2R2 without any trouble.

In one of this boxes we run:

4 x BGP Full Routing for IPv4
6 x BGP Partial Routing for IPv4
2 x BGP Full Routing for IPv6
OSPFv2
OSPFv3

We have 2 x 10 Giga Links ... Using 90% of their capacities.

Are you thinking to buy MX240 with TRIO 3D cards ?

Another important thing about future is:

- Juniper will release new RE cards (DUAL and QUAD CORE with 16 and 32
GB DRAM)
- The actual RE2000 for MX240 supports 4GB DRAM ... and better IPv4 and
IPv6 address space ... I think.
- MX240 supports redundant RE
- MX240 will support 100 GE Ethernet boards in near future
- MX80 will support virtual chassis technology next year

Att,

Giuliano