[j-nsp] Fwd: router recommendation

Gabriel Blanchard gabe at teksavvy.ca
Mon Oct 25 17:54:12 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-25, at 5:05 PM, Richard Zheng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A juniper reseller came back with a suggestion of J-4350. The price is
> similar to a used M7i. I was surprised by this option first. Then
> considering that the application is for a small ISP, it might not be bad.
> The DRAM may be upgraded to 2G which should hold several whole Internet
> tables for quite a while.

Not nearly enough, a J-4350 can handle according to their web site

Firewall and Routing PPS (64 Byte): 225,000 pps
Firewall Performance (Large Packets): 1.6 Gbps

So I wouldn't recommend it.

We in fact use a J-6350 at our office and we couldn't even get it to handle a full routing table. (at least not very well).

M7is are probably your best bet which we also have and I recommend in your case.

-Gabe