[j-nsp] CoS Marking/Rewrite Theory - Update!

Michel de Nostredame d.nostra at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 20:28:42 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Chris Evans <chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I asked for this years ago but was blown off.  Basically got the 'that is
> the way it is' statement.  As stated the current implementation is very
> limiting.
>
> Cisco has had this feature since I can remember on all of their platforms.

As for a CE or PE, Cisco is much better in terms of QoS
marking/classification capability. It could marks dscp or ipp bit on
the ingress based on various matching-conditions (such as src-dst
ip/port, and others). It also able to change the bit on the egress.

I had some complex examples during the transition from Cisco CE to
Juniper CE years ago, that support engineers from Juniper SI could not
able to translate them well. And the most frustrated thing is the JTAC
even not able to get back to us correctly.

Maybe Juniper can do something on the J-series to bring packet mode
software back, and add the marking capability on the ingress
interface's firewall filter... maybe I am just dreaming.... I wonder
if Juniper ever took opinions from enterprise customers seriously.

Michel~