[j-nsp] MX NSR issue

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Sep 2 16:35:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 09:15:18AM -0400, Chris Evans wrote:
> #2 - I'm using IRB interfaces on the MX platform. After the failover,
> traffic will not forward.. You can communicate RE to host, but HOST to HOST
> on the same box or external<>HOST connectivity is broken.

I've seen this behavior about a dozen times over the years, but always
on production boxes where we don't have the luxury of leaving it in a
broken state for Juniper to look at it. We've tried opening cases, but
they never find anything after the fact, so they just give up and close
the case.

Try rebooting the backup RE and see if traffic starts forwarding while
it is offline, then breaks again when it comes back up. If that works,
try disabling GRES and see if that stops the blackholing. In my previous
encounters with it, it will start blackholing again if you turn GRES
back on afterwards, but will clear up if you reboot or non-GRES
switchover to the other RE.