[j-nsp] Inter-Area MPLS TE

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Sep 7 10:10:37 EDT 2010

On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 08:01:36 pm Eric Van Tol
wrote:

> My question was more about going from one ISIS area to
> another (say, 49.0001 to 49.0002), but this information
> could help me out as well.

Right, but what I was asking was whether you were going to
be setting up the tunnels between L1 and L2, or like-for-
like levels.

We've implemented this across a single L2 domain, using
different Area parts of the NET. Since L2 doesn't care about
the consistency of the Area part, it just works.

We haven't tested this between different Levels, but with
explicit paths, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

> I recall doing the L2-L1
> tunnels in the lab and was able to get it to work.
> IIRC, I had to define explicit paths through the network
> from the L2-L1 router, correct?

This is generally how Inter-AS MPLS-TE is recommended be
deployed. CSPF tends to prefer to work across consistent
Areas (OSPF) or Levels (IS-IS).

Again, YMMV, as we've only really tested and ran MPLS-TE
across L2-only, i.e., MPLS-TE tunnels between core routers
only.

Cheers,

Mark.