[j-nsp] Traceroute for ECMP destinations

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Sep 8 02:28:28 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 03:03:03PM +1200, Thedin Guruge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to view all possible paths for an ECMP
> destination from "traceroute" or "traceroute mpls ldp"
> commands?default behavior seem to select one path arbitrarily.

The default behavior of classic traceroute is to send 3 probes per hop,
and whichever links they happen to route over is what you will see. You
might want to try "traceroute monitor" (mtr), which runs traceroute in a
continuous loop. This will (eventually) do a pretty good job of finding
all of the available ECMP paths, potentially at the expense of bumping
up against the rather low TTL expiration rate limits on many routers.