[j-nsp] L2VPN MTU Issue

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Wed Sep 29 15:23:12 EDT 2010

I missed the details. Not clear if using vlan tagging for example. Here is a stab.

IIRC, for l2vpn you have:

1. 4 bytes control word (can be disabled, on by default)
2. 12 bytes SA/DA MAC
3. 2 bytes type code/length

Subtracting the 16 above from 1528 leaves 1512. IIRC, family mpls subtracts 12 bytes from the device mtu by default to accommodate a 3 level label stack, which would then yield a payload length of 1500.

Either that or perhaps vlan tagging also in effect.

HTHs

Regards