[j-nsp] MX80-48T Fan Speed Variation

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Apr 5 17:42:08 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 12:53:23PM -0600, David Ball wrote:
> I've got 5 of them doing the same thing...not even a warm room.
> Used the same config snippet to debloat logs.

The logging bloat of JUNOS with a wealth of miscategorized (too high
severity levels) has led me to raise TAC cases. One of the being about
this blower speed messages flooding the MX80 log. Outcome: "Enhancement
Request" required to lower the severity from "notice" to "info". Same
goes for all the other gross mis-categorized log messages I filed.

Modular MX80 here btw.

JUNOS logging is a desaster. Either you get FAR too much noise (JUNOS
developers love to leave a bouqet of debug messages in there,
miscategorized as something else than "debug"), or you don't get relevant
things anymore (like link/adjacency up events). Looks like extensive
logging regexp is the only way to get proper logging. :-(

Using UNIX logging facility/severity system is already extremely
limiting. Not categorizing log messages properly completes the failure.
:-Z

I sense there would be a market for a JUNOS logging post-processor. :-)

Best regards,
Daniel