[j-nsp] Multiple VLANs on single M7i FastE port

Jesus Alvarez jalvarez at prw.net
Wed Apr 20 01:19:17 EDT 2011

Hi,

Has anyone used multiple VLANs on a FastE port in the M series routers
(like the PE-4FE-TX on the M7i)? I tried a configuration similar to the
one below and connected it to a trunk port on an EX switch.
Unfortunately, the subinterfaces can not communicate with other devices
on that switch with the same vlan-ids.

If I configure each subnet on a separate FastE port without using
vlan-tagging and then connect them to access ports on the switch for
each vlan-id, it does work. Yet that limits the number of VLANs to the
number of ports available.

I consulted with the JTAC but they seem to be confusing the issue with a
default-vlan problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Note that the FastE ports on the M series router do not support
flexible-vlan-tagging. There is also no ethernet-switching fuctionality
like in the MX series.

Thanks!
----------
     fe-0/0/3 {