[j-nsp] EX4200-24P chassis output

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Thu Apr 21 00:30:23 EDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Ben Dale wrote:

> I have an EX4200-24P with a 600W and a 930W power supply installed and
> for some reason, only the first 12 ports (0-11) are providing power.
> 600W PSUs should be enough to do the whole 24 ports, so I'm not sure why
> this isn't working.

You can't mix them -- I ran into this about a year ago.  If memory serves,
there should be messages along the lines of "power supplies not redundant"
in the logs, and maybe under show chassis alarms as well.  You should get
power on all ports if you boot with just one of the supplies installed,
and a pair of 600W supplies is sufficient for a 24P.

> If anyone has a EX4200-24P (or EX3200-24P for that matter) handy, could
> you send through the output of show chassis hardware detail?  I'm seeing
> a reference in this switch to a 12 Port PoE module which bothers me
> somewhat:

That's normal -- it's a "36 port PoE Module" in a 48P, and absent in the T
models.  The first 12 ports are apparently wired on the board, and I'd
guess the 8 port limit on the 24/48T is due to the available power budget.

-Rob