[j-nsp] 32-Bit JunOS on the 64-Bit Routing Engines

Joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Aug 25 02:45:29 EDT 2011

On 8/24/11 11:18 PM, Keegan Holley wrote:
> 2011/8/25 Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de>
>
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 07:52:54PM -0400, Keegan Holley wrote:
>>> They are saying that the new 16G RE's can handle 250M routes.  How is
>> this
>>> possible if none of the daemons are 64bit?
>> Multiple logical-system instances (== multiple rpd processes)? :-)
>>
> lol.  a) try splitting your table between multiple routers virtual or
> otherwise and let me know how that works out.  b) So someone shows up and
> pitches a router where the specs are based on the power of a single logical
> router x the number of logical routers I can create.  If my response is to
> purchase said contraption and put it in my network, whatever happens then is
> my fault. c) It would be extremely ironic if the EOL'd the 16G RE and
> release one with a bigger proc before the extra ram becomes useful like they
> did with the first 2G RE.
The people for whom a 16GB RE is genuinely useful right this second are
few, they pretty much know who they are.

I will say  that having worked at a big security vendor even with 32 bit
userspace a 64 bit kernel buys you dramatically more headroom to
scale-userspace on the box, and the extra ram is basically the cheapest
part of the whole exercise.