[j-nsp] CoS error

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Dec 5 23:26:47 EST 2011

On Sunday, December 04, 2011 07:56:01 PM Muhammad Adnan
Mohsin wrote:

> Hi Experts,
> I am getting the following error while applying the CoS
> configuration.
>
> [edit class-of-service interfaces]
>
>   'ge-1/0/2'
>
>     More than one scheduler is configured as
> "strict-high" or "high" or "medium-high" in sch_mp-core
> for ge-1/0/2. Ifd ge-1/0/2 supports only one scheduler
> with "strict-high" or "high" or "medium-high".
>
> error: configuration check-out failed
>
> It's a M320 router with a 8 port IQ2 PIC. The PIC details
> are below.

We hit a similar issue in the past, on an M320 with an IQ2
10Gbps PIC as well.

Basically, you cannot configure more than one 'strict-high'
or 'high' scheduler for an interface. The router will commit
only one of each for only one interface.

In a way, it sort of makes sense, since there's no point in
scheduling traffic with priority on multiple queues on the
same interface. It would defeat the purpose :-). Also, the
only difference between 'high' and 'strict-high' is that
'high' respects the 'transmit-rate', while 'strict-high'
does not.

I can't recall whether the behaviour was different on the
MX, but we decided to go with the least common denominator
so we can have configuration and behaviour consistency
across the entire backbone.

Cheers,

Mark.