[j-nsp] Juniper MPLS VPN using PE-P and P-PE LSPs !

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Dec 25 11:09:10 EST 2011

On Sunday, December 25, 2011 09:35:52 PM vaibhava varma
wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your response..I have everything working
> fine withLDP without any issues..I just wanted to deploy
> RSVP-TE for fasterfailover in the backbone..

Ah okay. Got you.

> And there I
> got stuck up with the full-meshof TE among PEs or using
> Broken Static LSPs between PE-P and P-PE..

What we've done, in one of our networks, to scale MPLS-TE
was to enable RSVP only in the core, run LDP everywhere else
and tunnel LDP in RSVP in the core.

This was mostly to create single-hop LSP's so that we can
solve unequal-cost path issues in the IGP to better utilize
previously idle core links.

That said, "MPLS-Enabled Applications" by Ina Minei & Julian
Lucek is one place where I've seen RFC 4206 mechanisms
documented in some form:

http://books.google.com.my/books?id=3MszQLz2cdwC&pg=PT66&lpg=PT66&dq=mpls+enabled+applications+label+operations+are+analogous+to+those+in+the+ldp&source=bl&ots=Abxedzafk8&sig=ZlvuaQ0PLqpMmZIqQVp5tL_Zppw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=00j3TtXzDMnOrQePvexD&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Page 30 is what you're after. Maybe that can help - I can
theorize its operations, but we haven't deployed this
particular architecture in the field.

> Thanks for
> sharing the rib-import methodology to get rid of
> staticroutes for inet.3 resolution for BGP-Next Hops..

Most welcome.

> Just a clarification on the "ldp-tunneling" part..Do I
> need to applythis at all the PE/P routers to run LDP
> over broken LSPs between PEs..Is there a provision in
> Junos without using LDP Tunneling to passtraffic between
> PEs when using broken LSPs ?

I usually recommend that LDPoRSVP always be enabled on
ingress routers for all LSP's. I also encourage them to be
enabled on P routers that are also acting as ingress routers
for RSVP LSP's.

Otherwise, if a P router is merely a transit node for an
LSP, then you wouldn't even be able to enabled LDPoRSVP, as
you wouldn't have an LSP or tunnel under which to do that,
both in IOS and Junos.

Cheers

Mark.