[j-nsp] Issue related to ARP learning

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Fri Dec 30 03:25:45 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Sachin Rai <sachinrai1983 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The thing is when I ping the IP 192.168.1.2 from EX4200 and run command 'show arp' then it displays 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 binded with aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa, and after this the IP 192.168.1.2 is pingable from external network.
>
> I want to know why EX4200 is not displaying all the IPs configured on the interface binded with MAC aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa. Can anyone help me on this situation or explain me what is happening.

Sachin, could you post what JUNOS version you are using?

If I were you I would investigate in more detail, by using tcpdump or
similar on the server, and verify that the EX4200 is not sending ARP
WHO-HAS to the LAN when you try to ping 192.168.1.2 from the external
network.  With the information you supplied so far, I think the most
likely explanation is that your servers are somehow mis-configured.  I
would be the first to say ARP on EX4200 is bug-ridden and needs
serious attention, but with the limited details you supplied so far, I
do not think the EX4200 is malfunctioning.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts