[j-nsp] EX4200 and Routing-Instances

Cristian Frizziero cristian.frizziero at iquall.net
Tue Feb 1 22:22:15 EST 2011

Hi guys,

I´m working on a EX4200 (2 switches in virtual-chassis config) which is
required to be the L3 border edge of a Datacenter. The backbone network
presents 4 VRFs to the datacenter with a strange requirement: each VRF
must reach a set of hosts in the datacenter, maintaining theirself
independent of the other 3 VRFs, and at the same time,each host of the
datacenter must reach the others in a full mesh of local connectivity.
OSPF is the protocol required to connect VRFs on the PE with the switch.

So, my approach was the following: on the L3 switch, I created 4 routing
instances (virtual router type) with ospf to the related VRF on the PE.
On the internal side: a rib-group to copy all interface routes to each
instance, so inet.0 is replied 4 times. To bind every internal phisical
interface with a particular routing-instances, I use Filtered-Based
Forwarding to send  the lookup into the right instance (inet.0 is
completely replied, so it works for local connectivity also).

This approach worked fine in a lab made with an MX480 and logical-systems.

Now: when I copied the configuration to the switch, I found that the
Filter-Based-Forwarding didn't work as into the MX lab: apparently I
cannot apply a simple firwall filter with the "routing-instance XXX"
accion matching for all packets, like that:

firewall {
   family inet {
     filter LookUp-into-InstanceA {
       term 1 {
         then {
           routing-instance InstanceA;
         }
       }
     }
   }
}

In the EX I needed to separate the packets with a filter like that,
because the packets were not routed with the above filter. So the filter
is now:

firewall {
   family inet {
     filter LookUp-into-InstanceA {
       term 1 {
         from {
           destination-prefix-list {
              Local-Destinations;
           }
         then accept;
       }
       term 2 {
         then {
           routing-instance InstanceA;
         }
       }
     }
   }
}

and it is working, but the need to filter by destination is very bad:
Local-Destination is a prefiz-list with all hosts specific IPs.

More than this: I couldn't use inet.0. I had to create a fifth instance,
in which I put all the interfaces, and use it as a default instance.

This was very strange to me: may be that EX4200 behaviour is so
different from MX480 one?
Anyone know about issues in EX platforms working with routing-instances
anf filter-based-forwarding?

Oh, for EX doesn´t exist the next-table options. It should be very
useful....

Thanks for your help.

--

Ing. Cristian Frizziero