[j-nsp] LLDP-MED support on EX-series - dot1q trunks

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 04:01:49 EST 2011

Hi Doug,

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Doug Hanks <dhanks at juniper.net> wrote:
> From what I understand LLDP don't support the 4-byte tag field in an Ethernet frame.  It should be expecting the EtherType of 0x88cc instead.

Thanks for replying.

This still doesn't answer (for me, anyway) why LLDP-MED optional TLVs
couldn't be transmitted untagged (i.e. in the native VLAN). In theory
this will still allow devices like IP phones to consume the advertised
information (VLAN tag, DSCP value etc.)

(I'm not sure if the equivalent function of Cisco's CDP on a Catalyst
switch works on a dot1q trunk but if I get time I will give it a go in
the lab.)

Cheers,
Dale