[j-nsp] LLDP-MED support on EX-series - dot1q trunks

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Feb 6 07:17:58 EST 2011

On 02/06/2011 09:01 AM, Dale Shaw wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Doug Hanks<dhanks at juniper.net>  wrote:
>>  From what I understand LLDP don't support the 4-byte tag field in an Ethernet frame.  It should be expecting the EtherType of 0x88cc instead.
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> This still doesn't answer (for me, anyway) why LLDP-MED optional TLVs
> couldn't be transmitted untagged (i.e. in the native VLAN). In theory

I don't *think* there's any protocol-specific reason. LLDP obviously
works on trunks, and the LLDP-MED TLVs are just that - TLVs. In
principle it should work, so maybe this is a JunOS limitation.

Certainly I can configure our Extreme switches to send MED TLVs on a
trunked port. I don't have a phone/client to test it with, but expect it
would "just work".