[j-nsp] juniper / mx series fib usage information?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Feb 8 23:43:15 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 07:08:21PM -0600, Michael Hare wrote:
> Hello-
>
> A quick google didn't help; is there a way to tell how much space you
> have left in your FIB [absolute RAM, percentage, whatever], specifically
> for an MX with DPCs?

ras at re1.router> start shell pfe network fpc0

ADPC platform (1200Mhz MPC 8548 processor, 1024MB memory, 512KB flash)

ADPC0(re1.router vty)# sh jtree 0 memory
Jtree memory segment 0 (Context: 0x4430cfd0)
Memory Statistics:
   16777216 bytes total
    6366560 bytes used
   10407144 bytes available (6060032 bytes from free pages) <-----------
       3024 bytes wasted
        488 bytes unusable
      32768 pages total
      11529 pages used (2568 pages used in page alloc)
       9403 pages partially used
      11836 pages free (max contiguous = 11285)

You can also see a breakdown of the individual services like so, but the
output above will take multiple tables into account and show you the
true utilization on the rldram. In a default configuration, segment 0 is
your routing memory, segment 1 is your firewall filters.

ADPC0(re1.router vty)# sh jtree 0 summary
     Protocol      Routes  Bytes Used
-------------  ----------  ----------
         IPv4      341307     4906680
         IPv6        4579       84256
         MPLS         487        6792
Multi-service           1          16

> I am contemplating activating cymru fullbogons [v4/v6].  We currently
> carry about 350,000k v4 and 5000k v6 routes.
>
> While initially I'm not worried, my gut tells me the v6 fullbogons
> feed will not be sustainable as it is already at 30k route for ~5k
> active v6 announcements.  While their template doesn't suggest so, I
> plan to put in ingress prefix-limit maximum on their sessions to
> something 'reasonable'.

Carrying a bogons bgp feed is pretty darn close to worthless really, but
you're in no danger of bumping an MX's route capacity unless you're
running multiple tables.