[j-nsp] NSR+GRES vs Graceful restart

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Feb 24 08:06:37 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:19:14AM -0800, Doug Hanks wrote:
> GRES+NSR+ISSU works just fine with DPCs.  The ISSU for Trio is still
> roadmap.

For some definition work "works just fine", where "works" equals
"doesn't work" perhaps. :) I haven't been able to successfully ISSU an
MX/DPC for over 2 years, and Juniper has all but given up trying to fix
it.

But GRES+NSR is typically going to be a much better idea than GRES+GR.
GR is actually pretty darn flawed in its design, as it assumes that all
failures are graceful, even the non-graceful ones. If you don't want to
blackhole a lot of traffic, NSR is a MUCH better alternative. Of course
I have yet to encounter an RE failure in the wild where GRES+anything
actually saves the day, but doing a hitless NSR switchover has been
surprisingly helpful as a way to kick the box in response to a large
number of random/obnoxious bugs, without actually having to disrupt
forwarding.