[j-nsp] NSR+GRES vs Graceful restart

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Feb 26 09:05:14 EST 2011

On Thursday, February 24, 2011 09:06:37 pm Richard A
Steenbergen wrote:

> But GRES+NSR is typically going to be a much better idea
> than GRES+GR.

I would tend to agree.

Localization of faults and replication of state between
control planes is, I think, a better idea than Graceful
Restart.

> Of course I have yet to encounter an RE
> failure in the wild where GRES+anything actually saves
> the day,...

We've had situations where inserting a compact flash card
into the router causes its CPU to spike so high, control
planes protocols begin to complain, e.g., Graceful Restart
has saved the day when LDP stops working for a while as the
CPU "calms down", but MPLS forwarding is still going strong.

Of course, this is hardly a worst-case scenario, and in all
fairness, most catastrophes we've had are generally
controlled (upgrades, e.t.c.).

> but doing a hitless NSR switchover has been
> surprisingly helpful as a way to kick the box in
> response to a large number of random/obnoxious bugs,
> without actually having to disrupt forwarding.

Control plane switchovers, in our case, have benefited from
GRES + Graceful Restart. BGP is the only thing that
literally takes the longest to reconverge on new master RE,
which is where we're thinking NSR will make the most sense.

Cheers,

Mark.