[j-nsp] Qfabric

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Feb 24 10:55:10 EST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:03:30AM -0500, Stefan Fouant wrote:
>>
>> No offense, but you are dead wrong on this issue.  I come in contact
>> with organizations every single day who have mission critical data
>> requirements and latency is a VERY big requirement for many of these
>> organizations.  And while this might not be your experience given the
>> financial services organization you work with, reduced latency was a
>> key enabler/differentiator for the NYSE and one of the main reasons
>> that they chose Juniper for their next-generation data centers.
>
> That doesn't actually make it important, it just means there are some
> customers out there who believe the hype. :)

I heard about someone building a microwave link btw CHI and NYC due to the lower latency compared to fiber and technology that they are able to attain.  This is valuable for the high frequency traders, which while they operate networks,

These might care about the latency, but people suffering from other services that are not latency sensitive (eg: TCP) esp when using modern IP stacks, this is less of an issue for 95% of the people out there.

Now all the people still running broken IP stacks, they just need to dump their OS choice down the toilet until they learn how to properly use their equipment.  I have no pity on them, it's their own fault/doing.  They can push out better than those default options to fix things, or just upgrade to a modern OS.  (This includes anyone running MSIE6 as well that mistakenly wedded themselves to that proprietary technology).

- Jared