[j-nsp] M7i IQ2 tpid translation or tag manipulation

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Feb 25 12:33:27 EST 2011

> I was wondering if it's possible to take in q-in-q traffic with outer tpid 0x9100 on an iq2 gige
> interface and be able to make a cross-connect (layer 2) to another iq2 gige interface but using tpid
> 0x8100 on the outer tag?  Or, alternatively, strip/rewrite the 0x9100 outer tag and send it out
> same/another iq2 interface?
>
> I have been able to terminate q-in-q traffic with different tpids but got the idea that I might be
> able to use the box to translate between different carriers tpids.
>
> Any examples would be greatly appreciated.

This is definitely possible. In the example below I'm stripping the
outer tag on input and adding it on output - and in the process also
translating between TPIDs 0x8100 and 0x9100.

And you don't even need IQ2 (unless you want to push/pop *two* tags) -
a good old IQ will do fine for one tag.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

End system 1:
ge-0/0/0 {
    flexible-vlan-tagging;
    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
    unit 88 {
        vlan-tags outer 777 inner 88;
        family inet {
            address a.b.c.1/30;
        }
    }
}

Cross-connect (interface-switch):
ge-0/0/0 {
    flexible-vlan-tagging;
    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
    unit 88 {
        encapsulation vlan-ccc;
        vlan-tags outer 777 inner 88;
        input-vlan-map pop;
        output-vlan-map push;
    }
}

ge-0/1/0 {
    flexible-vlan-tagging;
    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
    gigether-options {
        ethernet-switch-profile {
            tag-protocol-id [ 0x9100 0x8100 ];
        }
    }
    unit 88 {
        encapsulation vlan-ccc;
        vlan-tags outer 0x9100.999 inner 88;
        input-vlan-map pop;
        output-vlan-map push;
    }
}

connections {
    interface-switch test {
        interface ge-0/0/0.88;
        interface ge-0/1/0.88;
    }
}

End system 2:
ge-0/0/0 {
    flexible-vlan-tagging;
    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
    gigether-options {
        ethernet-switch-profile {
            tag-protocol-id [ 0x9100 0x8100 ];
        }