[j-nsp] Routing to tunnel interfaces on M10i

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Tue Jan 18 09:57:19 EST 2011

On 19/01/11 01:35, Alexander Shikoff wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 01:20:00AM +1100, Julien Goodwin wrote:
>> 2. Do you have a tunnel pic?
>>  - Some quick googling does seem to confirm IPIP needs a tunnel pic
>>  - However traffic to the RE may still work without one
>
> I do not have it. I thought that tunnel pic is needed only for hardware
> processing of IP-IP or GRE tunnels, but it seems that without it
> traffic is allowed only to RE.

Yes. Juniper's hardware routers simply don't do software fallback for
forwarding. You either get line-speed (or PIC-speed for ES, AS, Tunnel
etc) forwarding or nothing at all.

There is *one* case of software fallback I'm aware of in that BFD can,
on some platforms, be done at the hardware level with less RE
involvement (from an old thread on this list I think, should research it).

Another case worth mentioning is the VPLS "no-tunnel-pic" option which
uses the enhanced capabilities in some of the newer pic's (presumably
for double push operations) to run without a tunnel pic.

If you're willing to do the evil of using a P-style pic in a PE-style
FPC (well, chassis in this case) you can pick up a compatible tunnel pic
for less then US$500 on eBay, add some form of handle and remove the
steel base plate (if installed) and it works fine.

--
Julien Goodwin
Studio442