[j-nsp] Anycast

Chris Morrow morrowc at ops-netman.net
Tue Jan 18 15:35:49 EST 2011

On 01/18/11 14:58, Frank Sweetser wrote:
> On 1/18/2011 1:45 PM, Johan Borch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is not a specific Juniper question, but there seems to be a lot for
>> knowledge on this list so I will give it a shoot :)
>>
>> Would web traffic be suitable to use with anycasting? The applications in
>> question is a standard website with database backend that I need to load
>> balance (active-active) between multiple sites. I've never worked with
>> anycast before but as I understand it the anycast-part is merely me
>> announcing the server addresses from multiple sites in my IGP?
>
> Short answer: no, it's not suitable.

on the other hand...
with enough stability in your IGP and predictability in your ingress
paths/traffic ... I've seen this be perfectly workable for a very large
scale IP network.

> In the long run, you'll be much happier just getting a product designed
> to handle your needs, like an F5 or A10 load balancer.

I agree with this though, anycast brings along some interesting
troubleshooting scenarios. If you don't already have a handle on them,
don't make things more complicated for yourself.

-Chris