[j-nsp] Anycast

Wojciech Owczarek wojciech at owczarek.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 16:13:05 EST 2011

Johan,

As Frank hinted - I think GeoIP-based anycast DNS would be a much better solution here, basically if you can afford it you could use Akamai DNS anycast - there is also GeoDirector which I think is free - or try using BIND with GeoDNS patch yourself, but that's if you host your own DNS. You *could* use IP anycast but this would require session and DB replication to be 100% reliable, which can be tricky without using application load balancers like F5 or Radware, and the longer distances (latency) between sites, the worse it gets. With a DNS-based "geocast" solution, you could make do with DB replication only. That's if location is good enough a criterion for you to base the balancing on.

Regards,
Wojciech

-
Wojciech Owczarek