[j-nsp] Recover failed harddisk on RE-400

Dominik Rappaport Dominik.Rappaport at rappaport.at
Sat Jan 22 10:49:36 EST 2011

Hi,

I troubleshoot a failed RE-400's harddisk on an M7i router. I replaced the harddisk with a new one and followed

Peforming a Recovery Installation
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos93/swconfig-install/peforming-a-recovery-installation.html

I downloaded install-media-9.3R4.4-domestic from the JUNIPS download site and put it by means of dd on a Compact flash card. The RE booted from the CF but stopped at that point:

        =================== Bootstrap installer starting ===================
        Initialized the environment
        Routing engine model is RE-5.0
        Discovered that flash disk = ad0 , hard disk = ad1
        mount: /dev/ad1s1f: No such file or directory
        ERROR: mount_partition: Mount /dev/ad1s1a /mnt failed
        You are now in a debugging subshell (you may not see a prompt)...

Obicously that can't work as the harddisk is new and not partitioned. But the docs under

Creating an Emergency Boot Disk
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos93/swconfig-install/creating-an-emergency-boot-disk.htm

claims that

        The emergency boot disk repartitions the primary disk and reloads a fresh installation of the JUNOS software.

what it actually doesn't do. Did I miss something or do I have to recreate the paritions on my own? Any suggestion on how to do that?

Regards,
Dominik