[j-nsp] Recover failed harddisk on RE-400

Rob Lister rob.lister at netsumo.com
Sat Jan 22 17:23:02 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 22 at 3:49:36 PM, Dominik Rappaport wrote:
>         Routing engine model is RE-5.0
>         Discovered that flash disk = ad0 , hard disk = ad1
>         mount: /dev/ad1s1f: No such file or directory
>         ERROR: mount_partition: Mount /dev/ad1s1a /mnt failed
>         You are now in a debugging subshell (you may not see a prompt)...

I think this happens if you try to boot the install media CF in the
on-board CF slot rather than in PCMCIA Adapter in the PCMCIA slot.

Try putting a blank CF (or the old CF card) in the CF slot on the RE,
and insert the install media CF card in a PCMCIA -> CF adapter in the
front slot, then reboot.

It should then boot from the PCMCIA slot and prompt to re-install
everything. This takes about 15 - 20 minutes.

After install is complete, eject the PCMCIA adapter and reboot, and you
will be left with a blank router.

Rob

--
Rob Lister