[j-nsp] Taking full BGP table and filtering on SRX210

Mark Kamichoff prox at prolixium.com
Tue Jan 25 10:16:26 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 06:02:13PM +0000, Maqbool Hashim wrote:
> I'm guessing most people are going to say this is a bad idea, but I
> wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask.  Basically if I was to receive a
> full BGP routing table and filter the routes on the SRX210, would the
> SRX be able to handle this operation from a resource perspective?  I'm
> not planning on installing all the routes I'm receiving, only a
> selection.

If you're talking about the IPv4 DFZ, I'd agree with "most people" in
this case, and avoid it.

BGP routes on Junos are stored in the adjacency-rib-in table (show route
receive-protocol bgp $peer) even if you filter them from being installed
into inet.0 or inet6.0.  Even though the SRX210H has 1GiB of RAM, the
majority of it is reserved for other things (UTM, etc.) rather than BGP
routes.

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff