[j-nsp] MX480 JunOS version.

Jonathan Towne jontow at slic.com
Fri Jan 28 19:10:27 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 04:16:49PM -0600, Richard A Steenbergen scribbled:
# On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 02:03:54PM -0800, Keith wrote:
# >
# > Currently the box is running 10.2R1.8. It has a MIC-3D 20 port card,
# > MPC1, and RE-S-2000.
#
# Juniper just put out a tech bulletin this morning admitting the obvious,
# that 10.2R1/R2/R3 and 10.3R1 for Trio (MPC) cards are massively broken
# and shouldn't be used. Try 10.3R2, it's been mostly ok for us (not
# counting the bug we hit the other day where all the MPCs crashed in an
# endless loop after updating a prefix-list referenced in a firewall
# filter on them, but at least so far this seems rare :P). Alas 10.3R3
# seems to be delayed, but you'll be far better off with 10.3R2 than you
# will with 10.2R1 in the config above.

I actually find myself in the same situation as the OP, as I just powered
up and started doing some initial configuration, testing, and most of all:
some learning on our new MX480 (with MX-MPC2-3D), it seems to have shipped
with 10.3R1.9 on it.  Can you elaborate on the bustedness of this release
at all, or bound to secrecy?

I haven't run into anything weird yet, but I'm very early on in the process,
only having some basic connectivity to a few LAN switches, and a logical
system with a pair of IBGP sessions up inside it.  Where should I expect
oddity, as I was hoping to wait and get a better lab setup with it to try
an ISSU to 10.3R2 to see how it goes (I also have GRES and NSR enabled..)?

Thanks;

-- Jonathan Towne