[j-nsp] MX480 JunOS version.

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Jan 28 20:29:21 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 07:10:27PM -0500, Jonathan Towne wrote:

> I actually find myself in the same situation as the OP, as I just
> powered up and started doing some initial configuration, testing, and
> most of all: some learning on our new MX480 (with MX-MPC2-3D), it
> seems to have shipped with 10.3R1.9 on it.  Can you elaborate on the
> bustedness of this release at all, or bound to secrecy?
>
> I haven't run into anything weird yet, but I'm very early on in the
> process, only having some basic connectivity to a few LAN switches,
> and a logical system with a pair of IBGP sessions up inside it.  Where
> should I expect oddity, as I was hoping to wait and get a better lab
> setup with it to try an ISSU to 10.3R2 to see how it goes (I also have
> GRES and NSR enabled..)?

This has been discussed to death already, go look at some past threads
on Trio/code stability in recent months. Lots of issues have been seen,
like several different ways to break snmp counters, blackholing of
packets under various mpls configurations, crashing MPCs, etc, etc. Also
ISSU doesn't work on Trio hardware yet, so don't get your hopes up, and
doing a GRES switchover is one way to trigger SNMP counter issues on
that code.