[j-nsp] Bypass LSP functionality question

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jul 7 21:45:46 EDT 2011

On Friday, July 08, 2011 12:54:11 AM Harry Reynolds wrote:

> Hey  Stefan, no, in normal conditions the weight/metric
> of the bypass is poisoned/set high o traffic will always
> take the primary.
>
> At time of repair the loss of primary makes for "any port
> in a storm" and now traffic flows on the bypass.
> Possible the metric is updated/lowered, but given there
> is no primary not sure it would matter.

We once suspected the potential for traffic being load
shared across the primary and bypass circuits in this type
of scenario, as a cause for poor IPTv end-user experience
due to flows traversing various links at the time.

JTAC suspected a bug (Junos 8.5 implementing NG-MVPN). But
given how fragile this code was in our environment, and the
fact that we were moving to Junos 10 in building a new
network, we didn't really troubleshoot it deeply enough.

In Junos 10 in the new network, we've since dealt with this
issue (either as a result of a better network architecture,
or better NG-MVPN/MPLS infrastructure in Junos 10, or
whatever), and even though we have facility backup, we don't
see the purported problem JTAC suspected in our older
network.

Mark.