[j-nsp] External routes in OSPF database

Alex D. listensammler at gmx.de
Sat Jul 9 13:55:16 EDT 2011

Hello,

we have a MPLS enabled backbone with about 30 routers. IS-IS is used as
IGP. All routers have iBGP sessions with our two route-reflectors and
get BGP full-feed from them.
Now i try to setup OSPF with area 0.0.0.0 for connecting customers to
one of our PE routers (running JUNOS 7.5R2.8). Customer should get only
a default route via OSPF.

Now i have the problem that all BGP routes appear as external routes in
OSPF database, but only when adjacency to the neighbor router, a Cisco
1841, is up.

Without an adjacency, OSPF database looks like:
   <router># run show ospf database summary
   Area 0.0.0.0:
      2 Router LSAs
   Externals:
      3 Extern LSAs
   Interface ge-0/1/0.22:

When adjacency is up, it looks like:
   <router># run show ospf database summary
   Area 0.0.0.0:
      2 Router LSAs
   Externals:
      14396 Extern LSAs  --> after a while, there appear all BGP routes
   Interface ge-0/1/0.22:

Now my questions:
- Is that the default behaviour of a Juniper router ?
- Why appear all BGP routes in OSPF database as external routes not
before adjacency is up ?
- How can i avoid appearence of these routes in OSPF database ?
- How do i achieve that *only* default-route is announced to customer ?

My corresponding OSPF specidic configuration looks as follows:

routing-options {
     static {
         route 0.0.0.0/0 discard;
     }
     router-id <removed>;
}

policy-options {
     policy-statement RM_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TO_OSPF {
         term default-route {
             from {
                 protocol static;
                 route-filter 0.0.0.0/0 exact;