[j-nsp] External routes in OSPF database

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Sat Jul 9 16:14:46 EDT 2011

No, junos does not automatically redistribute bgp into igp by default.

>From a quick read it sounds to me like the cisco is set to redistribute bgp into ospf (though you did say isis is the igp). That would explain why all the externals appear after ospf adjacency up.
Perhaps due to rule of sync, which is normally disabled to avoid such a ridiculous need (that is, to require that the igp have a route before it can be advertised by BGP).

I would check the ios config for a redistribute bgp under isis or such.

Should be easy to confirm from where the externals are originating through its router-id.

Your policy below seems sufficient to advertise a default route, but it will not block any type 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 lsas that are present (say due to a full bgp feed being leaked into the igp). If you wish *only* a default and type 1/2 lsas (and a type 3 for the default) you may consider setting as a totally stubby network (which should not be area 0):

{master}[edit]
regress at mse-a# show protocols ospf area 1
stub default-metric 10 no-summaries;

With this config you will not need the static default as it will be auto-generated.

HTHs