[j-nsp] External routes in OSPF database

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Sat Jul 9 17:24:22 EDT 2011

2011/7/9 Alex D. <listensammler at gmx.de>

> Hello,
>
> we have a MPLS enabled backbone with about 30 routers. IS-IS is used as
> IGP. All routers have iBGP sessions with our two route-reflectors and get
> BGP full-feed from them.
> Now i try to setup OSPF with area 0.0.0.0 for connecting customers to one
> of our PE routers (running JUNOS 7.5R2.8).

You should upgrade as soon as possible if your hardware supports it.

> Customer should get only a default route via OSPF.

Are you providing internet to your customers?  If you you should use BGP or
static routes.  OSPF neighbors tax resources.  It's also not a good idea to
have all the customer routers and network routers in the same area.
 Topology changes will propogate throughout the entire network which could
cause resource issues at scale.

> Now i have the problem that all BGP routes appear as external routes in
> OSPF database, but only when adjacency to the neighbor router, a Cisco 1841,
> is up.

Are you sure that it is all the BGP routes?  If you redistributed the whole
table into OSPF and then advertised it to all 30 routers the network would
probably melt down. (I'm about 85% sure of that) What is the next-hop/router
ID in the routes?  Your probably learning them from the customer.  Also if
the routers weren't coming from the customer they would probably still be
there when you shut down the ospf neighbor with them.  This is another
problem with OSPF it's difficult to filter incoming routes from the
database.  If you plan to use ospf with customers you should implement some
kind of database filter to protect your routers.