[j-nsp] External routes in OSPF database

Alex D. listensammler at gmx.de
Mon Jul 11 04:27:07 EDT 2011

 > You only show 14k external LSA's in the database which is much
 > smaller than full BGP feed.
Yes, that was only a "snapshot". As i mentioned in my post, quantity of
routes increases up to ~360k routes, as i saw in my first try. But in my
posted example, for security reasons, i shut down neighbor before.

 > Are the above snippets from the PE router that is originating the
 > external LSA's?
Yes

 > It would be better to have your network and edge
 > routers in area 0 and customers in different areas.
My network/core routers don't run OSPF. IS-IS is used between them. I
only configured OSPF on one PE-router for connecting customers, which
were connected to a Cisco with EIGRP before.

 > You can have only an area 1 but it would be isolated from other areas
 > and not ideal.
I would only need it to announce a default-route and receive a few
routes from CPE router, which will be redistributed into iBGP.
I thought it could be a good EIGRP-->OSPF migration possibility. What it
seems that i was wrong ;-)

 > Never run an IGP with your customers (not even as PE-CE
 > routing protocol in an l3vpn). It's just asking for trouble.
Okay, i understand the common tenor. I think i will use eBGP for
redundantly connecting customers to our (Juniper) PE routers.

Thanks all...
Regards,
Alex