[j-nsp] GRE Strangeness

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Tue Jul 12 06:45:32 EDT 2011

> Hi,
>
>> I have a couple of EX4200's that are stacked currently and I am trying
>> to get a GRE tunnel working on them with the destination being a Linux box.
>
> I played around with GRE on EX4200s briefly and saw some strange
> behaviour too.  I think I came to the conclusion that it's not supported
> on EX after a bit of Googling, even though it's possible to configure
> it.

The state of GRE on EX is pretty confusing:
- It was "available" as a feature at launch, but then mysteriously vanished from the data sheet
- There are references to it requiring a license key in 9.1 [1]
- Then there is a KB article 17673 that says that "GRE Hardware will be supported from Junos version 10.6 onwards" (I guess that means 11.2 now?!) [2]
- And best of all, it's a study topic for the JNCIE-ENT [3] which appears to be EX-based.  That should be a barrel of laughs to get working in an exam environment ; )

[1] http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.1/topics/reference/general/ex-series-software-9-1-features.html
[2] http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB17673&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1264775930587&smlogin=true
[3] http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/resources_jncieent.html