[j-nsp] MX80 Opinions

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Jun 3 12:17:15 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:04:09AM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:

> One thing to think seriously about is whether you're going to run your
> MX's with a mixture of DPC's and MPC's. Depending on which features
> you need to turn on, you may not be able to boot DPC cards if you have
> MPC's installed as well.
>
> I'd seriously suggest checking with your SE before turning up any
> features if you're going to mix DPC's and MPC's, or if certain
> features for the MPC's "seem" kinky. We've had too much pain for some
> items.

Agreed 100%, plus getting line-rate out of a mixed DPC/MPC environment
is a real bitch for a number of reasons, so you'll be MUCH better off if
you convert a whole chassis at a time. Though I will say that 10.4R4
didn't give us ANY grief when doing mixed DPC/MPC during the actual
conversion maintenance, which is a first for the dozen or so places
where we've done this already. :)