[j-nsp] MX80 Opinions

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jun 3 12:30:51 EDT 2011

On Saturday, June 04, 2011 12:17:15 AM Richard A Steenbergen
wrote:

> Agreed 100%, plus getting line-rate out of a mixed
> DPC/MPC environment is a real bitch for a number of
> reasons, so you'll be MUCH better off if you convert a
> whole chassis at a time. Though I will say that 10.4R4
> didn't give us ANY grief when doing mixed DPC/MPC during
> the actual conversion maintenance, which is a first for
> the dozen or so places where we've done this already. :)

It's unfortunate that the issue we faced is one of those I
can't freely talk about - but in our case, the solution to
have maximum support for a feature we needed under Junos
10.4R4.5 was to go for an all-DPC design. Obviously, it
doesn't help that all our MX480's shipped with MPC's :-).

Native support for the feature we wanted meant going for
Junos 11, but we still had the restriction that we couldn't
use DPC's even if we wanted to. So with the extra headache
of having to run Junos 11, we opted to stay on 10.4 with a
workaround that gives us what we want, but means we have to
change our topology to suit the situation, restrict what we
can do, and never be able to run DPC's in the chassis.

Moral of the story: check with your SE before you buy.
Things are no longer like they were back in the ol' days
:-).

Mark.