[j-nsp] OSPFv3 interop/tuning recommendations?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Jun 10 11:07:44 EDT 2011

All:

I have a fairly extensive IPv6 test bed set up in my lab, using OSPFv3
as my IGP, and one thing I noticed is that the OSPFv3 adjacencies on links
between Cisco (6509-Es, Sup720/3BXLs, 12.2SXH code) and Juniper (M7is,
JUNOS 10.3R1.9) devices seem to take about 3x longer to come up,
than between two Cisco devices.  OSPFv3 timers are at their default
settings on all devices.  The topology is point-to-point links, and
all of the relevant devices are in the same area.  OSPFv3 adjacencies
between two Juniper devices also seem to come up pretty quickly.

It's been a while since I've had to look at IGP interoperability between
the vendors, so I still need to re-familiarize myself with timer
differences between vendors and things like that, to understand why the
Cisco<->Juniper adjacencies come up more slowly.

It's not a major headache at this point (~30 secs to bring up a
Cisco<->Juniper OSPFv3 adjacency vs ~10 secs to bring up a Cisco<->Cisco
adjacency, and ~2 secs to bring up a Juniper<->Juniper adjacency), but
something I'd like to understand fully and address before I start rolling
things out in production down the road.

Does anyone have any recommendations for tuning OSPFv3 in multi-vendor
setups like this?

Thanks
jms