[j-nsp] How does multihop eBGP work?

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Fri Jun 24 12:49:28 EDT 2011

On 24/06/2011 7:33 PM, Mike Williams wrote:
> My biggest bugbear is if my multihop-ebgp peer tells me he know the
> best way to x.x.x.x, the packets I send towards him must be routed by
> intermediaries, will those intermediaries use their tables and
> "hijack" my packets down their bits of wet string through 15 other
> ASs and to the moon and back?

BGP only populates your idea of the next hop towards your destination.
Once your packets leave your network to the intermediary autonomous
systems they forward the packets based on their idea of the best next hop.

Short of some combination of tunnelling &/or encryption there's no real
way for you to control/verify what happened to the packets in transit.

--
patrick