[j-nsp] What do you think about the MX line?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Jun 26 21:19:21 EDT 2011

On Monday, June 27, 2011 06:56:48 AM Keegan Holley wrote:

> I think the general attitude is positive towards them.
> They are a good compliment to the M/T series and
> generally solid flexible boxes.  You should probably
> include how you plan to use them in your question.  For
> example a few list members complain about multicast/IGMP
> bugs and other issues with the new trio based cards and
> some of the new code.  If you don't run alot of
> multicast these wouldn't really apply to you.

For us, we use them heavily in the edge, and that hasn't
been the smoothest of rides.

My guess is if you need them for peering or in the core, you
might have less issues, but not necessarily (we already know
of core applications where the MX could be troublesome - but
the edge role takes the cake, by far).

There are also some limitations, so far, if we use them as
BRAS's, but these are mostly bugs are feature unavailability
at this time. The problem is that without the feature being
present today, it's hard to know how the box will scale,
which could be a big problem unto itself.

All in all, it depends on the complexity/sophistication of
your deployment, the role you're placing the MX in, and what
features you're going to need. For some folk, it's the
perfect box. For others, it's less so.

Mark.