[j-nsp] Static AnyCast PIM + MSDP not working

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Tue Jun 28 23:44:18 EDT 2011

On 6/28/2011 6:59 PM, Doug Hanks wrote:
> Stacy,
>
> I disabled PIM on the multicast source.  I also disabled PIM on all of the devices management interfaces (172.16.1.0/24).  You were correct as the DR was being elected on the broadcast network.
Disabling PIM on the management interfaces is a critical step.  We
stress this point a lot in the 'Junos Multicast Routing' class with
configurations that look like the following:

pim {
         rp {
             local {
                 family inet {
                     address 10.0.6.254;
                 }
             }
         }
         interface all {
             mode sparse;
         interface fxp0.0 disable;
         }
     }

This is probably doubly important in lab settings where you may not be
using the OOB fxp interface for mgmt but rather some other revenue port
for mgmt purposes.  Likely you'll want to disable those as well.

Nonetheless it sounds like Stacy got you covered! Good luck in your
studies mate!

--
Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-ER #70, JNCIE-M #513, JNCI