[j-nsp] 10.0 or 10.4?

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 04:43:25 EDT 2011

Just installed 14 x MX960s for a large Aussie Mobile company - The release train we've decided on is 10.4R2 for now, due to EEOL support; and the fact that 10.0 didn't support a few of the cards we added. (16x10GE Trio for example didn't come till 10.2).

I have also hear that 10.4 also included a mass re-write/re-development of a lot of the JunOS code; trying to bring it back within a manageable framework. (Note how it went from 10.2R3 to 10.4, skipping a 10.3 release for some platforms). Hence, 10.4 is the "new" code base. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing initially, but should only improve with time.

I'd like to standardize all the other devices in my network to 10.4; once the "suggest JTAC releases" goes past 10.2R3 for things like SRX platforms.

- Chris.

P.S. JunOS may go to 3 releases per year now as well, so there may only be an 11.1/.2/.3 for 2011.