[j-nsp] Uplink failure detection in EX series

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Tue Mar 15 07:40:26 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Tore Anderson <
tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if it possible to configure something equivalent to the
> EX2500's Uplink Failure Detection on the JUNOS-based EX series switches?
> I want to designate a couple of interfaces as uplink ports, and if they
> all go down, all the other ports on the switch should be disabled as well.

I'm not aware of a protocol that can shut down switchports.  There's
something in the optical world that will shut down a gig port if the sonet
links it traverses flap, but that wouldn't help here.  Op-scripts maybe?

> I want to avoid repeats of an interesting failure I just experienced: an
> EX top-of-rack switch lost both its uplinks simultaneously, most likely
> due to lacpd failing to do its job - both uplinks were 802.3ad LAGs, and
> rebooting the switch solved the problem in the end.

That sounds like a bug of some sort.  I'd probably fix it by upgrading to
code where the bug was fixed.  What code are you running?

> In any case, since
> the downstream access ports stayed up, the servers didn't fail over to
> the other switch in the rack and therefore lost connectivity. So much
> for redundancy... :-/

Maybe you can write a script that pings out periodically and fails over the
bundles if the ping fails.  Probably easier than opscripts.  If not there's
always spanning-tree. ;)